Extensive involvement in virtually all aspects of civil litigation, representing plaintiffs and defendants, including high-profile and complex matters as well as smaller matters. This includes commercial disputes and business torts, personal injury and premises liability, insurance litigation, defamation, employment relationships, real estate disputes, gaming, intellectual property and unfair competition.
ADR Training Received:
Past Attorney Experience:
• Lieutenant, United States Navy 1972-1978
• Graduate: Aviation Officers Candidate School
Graduate: United States Navy pilot training for single airplanes, helicopters and advanced helicopters (Aviation Ratings received: Commercial, instrument, instructor)
Mediator/Settlement Judge for the Nevada Supreme Court since 2001. Private mediator. Mediator and Arbitrator for the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority. Arbitrator for the Nevada Eighth Judicial District court since 1998 on many dozens of cases involving personal injury, business disputes and other civil disputes. Nevada Short Trial Judge. Over 33 years experience in Nevada civil litigation.
• United States Supreme Court
• United States Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
• Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
• United States District Court for Nevada
• Nevada State Courts
• Nevada Gaming Commission
Mediator For Nevada.com
Thomas J. Tanksley, Ltd.
Legal Education and Honors:
Admitted to Practice:
• University of Arizona College of Law, Juris Doctor, cum Laude, 1982
• Writer and Editor, Arizona Law Review, 1979-1982
• Thomas J. Tanksley, Ltd. Sole Practitioner with general litigation and ADR practice, 1998 to 2016
• Morton R. Galane, A.P.C., later called "Galane, Tanksley, Ballif and Rickdall," 1984 to 1998
• Lionel, Sawyer & Collins, 1982 to 1984
• Harvard Law School Extensive Course: "Mediation Workshop"
• Pepperdine University Law School - Straus Institute For Dispute Resolution: Six-day Extensive Course on "Mediating the Litigated Case"
• Ongoing yearly training as Nevada Supreme Court Settlement Judge/Mediator
• Nevada Eighth Judicial District Court Short Trial Judge and Arbitrator initial training and subsequent refresher training
• Arbitrator Training for National Association of Securities Dealers (now "FTNRA")
• Neighborhood Justice Center, Clark County: Extensive mediation training and years of volunteer service